These cookies are not only safe to eat, but they are super cute and fun to serve at any holiday or celebration. We served these SunButter-filled Chocolate Sandwich Cookies to a whole gang of kids last night and let me tell you…they went fast. After all…who can resist chocolate and SunButter?
- 1 1/4 cup gluten-free 1-to-1 flour blend ( or sub with all purpose flour )
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (we used Earth Balance Soy Free version)
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the cookies:
- In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking soda until combined. Add butter, dairy-free milk and vanilla. Process until dough is formed. Pour out onto plastic wrap and knead a few times to integrate everything together and make it less crumbly. Press into a disc shape, wrap and refrigerate 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment or silpat, set aside.
- Take dough out of refrigerator and allow to sit for a few minutes, if too cold to handle. Roll out into circle, 1/4″ thick. Cut out in desired shapes and place on prepared sheets. Bake approximately 12 minutes and remove and let cool.
To make SunButter filling:
Using a stand mixer or handheld, beat together SunButter and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla (make sure setting is on low so it doesn’t fly out everywhere) and beat until mixed together than increase speed and add milk a little at a time until light and fluffy.
Either pipe on filling using a pastry bag or spread on a layer of filling with a knife on the bottom of one cookie then place the other cookie on top, pressing down gently.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Holidays, Halloween