Subtly spiced, soft and fluffy Banana Cupcakes dotted with chocolate chips then covered in a smooth cappuccino frosting. Who needs a latte when you can whip these easy cupcakes up in no time!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or Bob’s 1-1 gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 very ripe bananas)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk, mixed well before measuring
- 1/2 cup neutral oil (canola, vegetable, safflower)
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (dairy-free)
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with 18 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger. In a separate bowl, whisk bananas, coconut milk, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool the cupcakes completely before frosting.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the shortening until smooth.
- With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar and vanilla, and beat to incorporate. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso liquid at a time, as needed, until it reaches desired frosting consistency and espresso flavor. You may not need to use all of the espresso liquid. Beat on high for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add to piping bag and decorate cupcakes or simply spread a layer of frosting over each cupcake.
If using gluten-free all-purpose flour (in place of a 1-1 blend) be sure to add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum.
- Category: dessert, vegan, gluten-free
- Method: bake
Keywords: banana cupcake, mocha cupcake, vegan cupcake, banana muffin, gluten free vegan banana cupcake, cupcake. cake