South Indian Curry is a dish you can easily master. Rich in deep, aromatic flavors & a little spice to entice your taste buds. Vegan & Gluten Free (also nut free)
- Jasmine Rice, cooked (or other rice of choice)
- 1 TB. virgin coconut oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 Serrano pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 TB. minced garlic cloves (from a jar or 2 fresh minced cloves)
- 1 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground curry
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 28 oz canned, diced tomatoes
- 1 TB lemon juice
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and cubed (OR 2 cans, drained chickpeas)
- 8 oz dairy-free sour cream (Tofutti)
- 2 TB dairy-free butter (Earth Balance)
- 1 TB. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Make your rice according to directions.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat. When water droplet sizzles, add onion, Serrano, and garlic. Cook until onion turns translucent (3 minutes).
- Add spices: garam masala, coriander, cumin, turmeric, curry, and cayenne. Season with salt and cook several minutes, until spices are absorbed in the onions.
- Add the tomatoes in their liquid and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Using a handheld immersion blender (or carefully transfer to a blender), and puree tomato mixture until more smooth texture, but not too soupy
- Add tofu cubes (or chickpeas). Reduce heat and allow to simmer 10 minutes for flavors to blend.
- Stir in the sour cream and butter during the last few minutes before serving.
- Serve with rice, and green veggies.
*Make this dish Soy-free & use 2 cans of chickpeas instead.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Indian