Sweet vegan bread pudding topped with a delightfully rich homemade buttery rum sauce. Tastes like Grandma’s recipe…but it’s vegan & gluten-free.
- 7-8 cup diced bread cubes (I used Little Northern Bakehouse V+GF Bread)
- 3/4 cup dried raisins (or dried berry blend)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (+ 1 TB for pan)
- 1 large banana
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk from a can (shaken well) OR heavy cream of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons rum or rum extract
Butter Rum Sauce
- 1/3 cup heavier cream (like coconut cream, non-dairy creamer or for the holidays, we use Vegan Nog)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rum or rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly spray a 9×13″ casserole dish with non-stick spray (or grease). Sprinkle dish with a little brown sugar and set aside.
- Cube bread and place in a large bowl. Mix into it dried fruit and set aside. *
- In your blender, blend together sugar, banana, coconut milk, spices and extract. Pour over bread and toss to coat, making sure all the bread is saturated. Pour coated bread mixture into casserole dish. Let sit 10 minutes (or covered overnight).
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make buttered rum glaze by melting butter and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Whisk in heavy cream and rum then remove from heat.
- Scoop out bread pudding into serving plates and top with generous drizzle of buttered rum and vegan whip if using.
*Don’t forget to let your bread sit out the night before to dry a little. If you forgot, simply toast your bread and cut into cubes or toss cubes in the oven and toast for a few minutes on 350°.
Keywords: bread pudding, vegan, breakfast, gluten-free. top 8 free, holidays