Fluffy, perfectly baked chocolate cake donuts made in less than 30 minutes! Gluten free, nut free, and topped with a simple vegan melted chocolate icing.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend *
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup dairy-free unsweetened yogurt (such as So Delicious Coconut yogurt)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup flax or soy milk **
- 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (omit and replace with chocolate chips if you don’t like coconut)
- 1 cup mini vegan chocolate chips (Enjoy Life Foods)
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly coat your donut pan with spray or oil
- In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together: coconut oil, yogurt, brown sugar, coconut milk, and flax milk. Stir this into your flour mix, just until incorporated. Fold in the shredded coconut then fill each donut cavity a little more than half full.
- Bake 12-15 or until the tops bounce slightly when touching it. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan and then finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Using the double boiler method, fill a small saucepan half-way with water over a medium boil. Fill heatproof bowl with chocolate and place overtop. Stir to help the chocolate melt and then carefully remove from stovetop. Dip the tops of each donut into melted chocolate and place back on the cooling rack until chocolate sets.
*Depending on the GF flour you use, be sure to check if Xanthan gum is needed and if so, add in as directed on packaging.
**Can also substitute All Purpose Flour, cup for cup , in this recipe.
***I blended the choice to milk, only so the coconut flavor was not overpowering. However, feel free to use only 1 type if you don’t want to use multiple.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten-free, top 8 free,