This super decadent, vegan & gluten-free version of a favorite childhood candy bar is made with buttery shortbread, rich & creamy caramel and smooth homemade chocolate. This irresistible Twix Bar Cookie will be your new favorite treat.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter, softened (Earth Balance)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mill 1-1)
- 1/3 cup vegan confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup SunButter (organic or natural)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 9×4 loaf pan with foil, leaving overhang and lightly spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, cutting in the butter until crumbly mixture forms. Transfer to prepared baking pan and press down with your fingertips to form an even, flat layer. Poke dough about a dozen times in different spots with fork then bake. Bake 12-15 minutes or until crust has lightly set and golden (but not brown).
- Melt butter in a medium sized microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute. Add SunButter, syrup, vanilla & salt then stir until smooth. Spread evenly over crust taking time to cover completely.
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Pour chocolate over caramel layer and smooth with offset spatula. Sprinkle with a small amount of sea salt for an extra explosion of flavor.
- Cover pan with foil then refrigerate (2 hrs) or freeze (30 min) until set before lifting out foil and slicing into bite-sized bars. Keep in fridge up to 10 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Don’t have time to make each step? Top off shortbread with “safe” jarred caramel topping. Melt vegan chocolate chips with a tsp. of coconut oil, stir well then add as your final top layer. Refrigerate as instructed.
- Category: Sweet Treats
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: top 8 free, gluten free, vegan
Keywords: twix, candy bar, chocolate