Vegan Valentine’s Hearts are inspired by all the thing I love. Chocolate, SunButter, cookie dough and sugar cookies in the shape of a heart – do I need to say more? How about the fact that these are also gluten-free, nut-free and allergy-friendly?
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten-free 1-1 Flour (or AP Flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (dairy-free, soy free)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
SunButter Cookie Dough
- 1 cup creamy SunButter
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil or shortening
Make the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with Silpat or parchment.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar and baking soda. Add butter, 1 tablespoon of water and vanilla then pulse until soft and doughy. Add extra water ONLY if too dry.
- Place dough between two sheets of floured parchment and roll out until 1/4″ thick. Peel off top paper then using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as you can. Rework the scrap dough to make more hearts.
- Place on prepared baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes, until a light golden color. Let cool.
Make cookie dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together SunButter, melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until sugar is dissolved. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until incorporated.
- Lay out dough on plastic wrap and roll out to 1’4″ thick. Place in freezer until firm enough to cut (10-15 min). Take from freezer and using the same heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut as equal number of hearts to match the # of cookies made.
- Place cookie dough hearts on top of cooled sugar cookies and press down slightly. Lay back on plastic wrap then transfer again to the freezer.
- Make your chocolate coating.
- Using a fork (or candy dipping tool) dip each heart into melted chocolate and cover completely. Gently tap off excess chocolate so it drips back into bowl then place heart on parchment. Repeat with remaining and refrigerate to let harden.
- Microwave chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat. Microwave the chocolate in 3 (30-second) intervals, stirring between each. When the chocolate is mostly melted and only a few tiny pieces remain, stop microwaving and set aside at room temperature; the last few pieces will melt.
*All ingredients I use are vegan, however use what is safe for your family.
**I suggest taking out a few hearts at ta time from the freezer, since they soften up quickly. Much easier to work with while they are COLD.
***Chocolate chips don’t contain enough cocoa butter to temper, so keep in mind that the melted chocolate will harden with a streaked or swirled appearance.
Keywords: tagalong, girl scout cookies, cookies, SunButter, chocolate, holiday, valentine's day, top 8 free