Valentine’s Hearts are inspired by all the thing I love ❤️Chocolate, SunButter, cookie dough and sugar cookies – do I need to say more?
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY SUNBUTTER®
But this time….I give you heart-shaped sugar cookies, topped with a layer of SunButter cookie dough, covered in melted chocolate. WOW…that’s a mouthful. We’ll just call them Valentine’s Day Tagalong Cookies to make it easier. 😉
Allergy friendly tagalong cookies are the perfect treat to bake at home! These tasty cookies are nut free, gluten free, and vegan! Plus, you can easily adapt the recipe to practically any other holiday by changing the shape of your cookie cutter.
This recipe came about after making several cookie dough creations (Chocolate-Chip Cookie Dough Easter Eggs , Cookie Dough Cups) and wanting to use SunButter as a base. So after a little work in the kitchen, this amazing, eggless, nut-free, gluten-free dough was created. And while you could totally just eat it straight from the bowl, it deserved something more. It deserved to be layered on top of a crispy sugar cookie and covered in chocolate.
While these cookies are not difficult or challenging to make, they do require some assembly, so it’s a great weekend project or treat to make when you’re stuck in your house due to bad weather. From rolling, cutting & baking the sugar cookie, to making your SunButter dough to dipping it all chocolate, it’s a few steps but the payoff is well worth it.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THE BEST TAGALONG COOKIES?
- The bottom layer is the cookie layer: a light & crispy, sugar cookie – cut into heart shapes then baked to perfection.
- The SunButter cookie dough layer just makes these cookies. Creamy, smooth, Natural SunButter, vegan butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla gets mixed, rolled out and cut into hearts as well then placed on top of baked cookies.
- The chocolate. Obviously, a copycat tagalong needs chocolate. I tempered vegan milk chocolate chips and I added some shortening for three reasons: so the chocolate would melt easier, it would spread easier and it so it wouldn’t melt when taken out of the fridge. Mission accomplished!
You’ll really love this recipe because these Tagalong Cookies are:
- Adaptable (change it shape, omit the sugar cookie, switch it to a shortbread cookie base or change out the type of SunButter you use).
- Top 8 Free
- Creamy, smooth, crunchy, salty, sweet, chocolate-y
- Amazingly good
- Perfect for sharing on Valentine’s Day
Let’s make some cookiesPrint
Vegan Valentine’s Hearts are inspired by all the thing I love. Chocolate, SunButter, cookie dough and sugar cookies in the shape of a heart – do I need to say more? How about the fact that these are also gluten-free, nut-free and allergy-friendly?
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten-free 1-1 Flour (or AP Flour)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter (dairy-free, soy free)
- 1-2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
SunButter Cookie Dough
- 1 cup creamy SunButter
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 bag chocolate chips
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil or shortening
Make the Cookies:
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 2 baking sheets with Silpat or parchment.
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar and baking soda. Add butter, 1 tablespoon of water and vanilla then pulse until soft and doughy. Add extra water ONLY if too dry.
- Place dough between two sheets of floured parchment and roll out until 1/4″ thick. Peel off top paper then using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as you can. Rework the scrap dough to make more hearts.
- Place on prepared baking sheets and bake 8-10 minutes, until a light golden color. Let cool.
Make cookie dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together SunButter, melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla and salt until sugar is dissolved. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until incorporated.
- Lay out dough on plastic wrap and roll out to 1’4″ thick. Place in freezer until firm enough to cut (10-15 min). Take from freezer and using the same heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut as equal number of hearts to match the # of cookies made.
- Place cookie dough hearts on top of cooled sugar cookies and press down slightly. Lay back on plastic wrap then transfer again to the freezer.
- Make your chocolate coating.
- Using a fork (or candy dipping tool) dip each heart into melted chocolate and cover completely. Gently tap off excess chocolate so it drips back into bowl then place heart on parchment. Repeat with remaining and refrigerate to let harden.
- Microwave chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil for 30 seconds, stir, and repeat. Microwave the chocolate in 3 (30-second) intervals, stirring between each. When the chocolate is mostly melted and only a few tiny pieces remain, stop microwaving and set aside at room temperature; the last few pieces will melt.
*All ingredients I use are vegan, however use what is safe for your family.
**I suggest taking out a few hearts at ta time from the freezer, since they soften up quickly. Much easier to work with while they are COLD.
***Chocolate chips don’t contain enough cocoa butter to temper, so keep in mind that the melted chocolate will harden with a streaked or swirled appearance.
Keywords: tagalong, girl scout cookies, cookies, SunButter, chocolate, holiday, valentine’s day, top 8 free
You may also like…..2