Two gorgeous fluffy layers of vibrant red cake, topped with addicting cream cheese frosting and drenched in chocolate ganache. Perfect for Christmas, birthdays or any other special occasions.
Red Velvet Cake
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (like Earth Balance soy free)
- 2 cups vegan cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cacao powder (can also us cocoa)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons egg replacer, mixed with 6 tablespoon warm water
- 1 1/2 cup dairy-free milk (like Good Karma Flax milk)
- 2 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (keep seperate)
- 2 teaspoon vanillla extract
- 4–5 tablespoon natural red food coloring
- 3 3/4 cups gluten-free flour (Bob’s 1-to-1 GF Flour was used)*
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 8 ounces vegan chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
Red Velvet Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour two 9″ round baking pans.
- In a stand mixer, combine butter, cane sugar, salt and cacao until fluffy.
- In a small bowl #1, whisk the egg replacer with dairy-free milk, 2 TB of apple cider vinegar, vanilla and red food coloring. Alternate adding this mixture and flour to the stand mixer while running on low, scraping down sides as needed.
- In small bowl #2, mix baking soda and 2 teaspoons vinegar then fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake 25-30 minutes. If toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, then it’s ready.
- Cool pans on a wire rack at least 10 minutes then flip over to release. Cool completely before icing.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a stand mixer, whip the butter, cream cheese, vanilla and maple syrup until smooth, making sure to scrape the sides to incorporate it all. Lower speed and slowly add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Once combined, whip on high for a minute to get nice and fluffy.
Make the Ganache:
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter for 45 seconds. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
Put it all Together:
Place the first cake on a serving plate and spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Top with second layer and spread with remaining frosting on the top and sides. Pour cooled chocolate ganache on top of frosting and allow to drip down the sides a little.
*If using another flour, please follow their directions if Xanthan Gum is required.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Holiday, Vegan, Gluten-free