Since this week is the official Allergy Awareness Week, I thought that I’d give you all another recipe from my cookbook. This one is for Protein Bars. The problem that we find in store bought bars is that they usually contain some type of milk protein or if it is Vegan, it still contains some type of nut or nut butter and neither one can be eaten in our home.
This version is a more dense and chewy protein bar, which reminded me of the paleo type bars I tried once before. I packed in a ton of fiber by using wheat germ, but if you have a sensitivity to wheat then there are a few other options for you. Go with all oat bran for the flours and in place of the germ, try using ground flax meal. Of course, almond butter could be used if you don’t have an allergy to it, instead of the Sunbutter.
It is a pretty versatile bar. Filling, protein rich, fiber rich, delicious and so good for you.
Dense protein bars full of nutrients but without tons of sugar. Dairy, egg & nut free. Vegan friendly as well.
- 1 C. Protein powder (soy, rice, whey- whatever is safe for your family)
- 1/2 C. Oat Bran
- 1/2 C. Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 C. Wheat Germ
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 C. Raisins
- 1/2 C. Dried Blueberries
- 1/2 C. Cranberries
- 1/2 C. Dried Dates, chopped
- 1 (12oz) Silken Soft Tofu( blended in processor)
- 1/2 C. Apple Juice
- 1/2 C. Brown Sugar, packed
- 2/3 C. Sunbutter
- 1 TB. Flax meal + 3 TB warm water, mixed
- Coconut Oil for pan
- Preheat Oven to 350. Line bottom of 9×13 glass baking dish with parchment and lightly coat with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix protein powder, oat bran, wheat flour, wheat germ and salt.
- Chop all dried fruits and place in a small bowl.
- In a third bowl, add blended tofu then incorporate one at a time the apple juice, brown sugar, flax mixture and Sunbutter. Which til combined.
- Add this tofu mixture to the protein mix and combine. Fold in the dried fruit. Spread evenly in the baking dish and bake approx. 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting into bars.
I hope you like them!