All the flavor of traditional lasagna but in the form of a comforting soup. Vegan & Gluten-free
- 3 TB. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 C. Vegan Italian sausage links, chopped (or add more mushrooms and leave this out)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 Cup)
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 (12oz) cans, fire-roasted crushed tomatoes with liquid
- 6 C. vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 package lasagna noodles (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 C. baby spinach
Ricotta cheese (I used my Tofu ricotta recipe below)
- 1 lb. Firm Tofu
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 TB. nutritional yeast
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 TB. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Set a large soup pot over medium heat and drizzle olive oil. Add the chopped “sausage” and let brown, 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Slowly, pour in the canned tomatoes and vegetable broth. Stir then add in herbs and spices.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup ingredients until a more consistent (less chunky) texture. OR using a blender, pulse soup in batches to reach desired consistency.
- Bring to a boil then simmer.
- Add lasagna noodles to the soup pot (leave whole or break apart for easier serving) , stir and cover. Allow noodles to cook according to package instructions (6-10 minutes).
- While soup is simmering, make your tofu ricotta.
Make your tofu ricotta.
- – In a small bowl, crumble tofu. Add lemon juice, garlic, nutritional yeast and spices. Use a potato masher to blend it all together until it resembles ricotta.
- During the last few minutes that your soup is simmering, stir in 1/2 C. Tofu Ricotta and mix well.
- Re-season if necessary then stir in the spinach and cook until wilted (1 minute).
- Ladle soup into bowls and top if extra ricotta or cheese of choice.
I wanted to traditional lasagna flavor (for my non-vegan friends) which is why I used the sausage links. Feel free to omit completely or substitute cannelli beans for the protein.Noodles taste best “al dente”. Remember, they will continue to cook, even when you remove the soup pot from the heat.
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Free of Top 8 Allergens