It’s funny how much we like to categorize things and put it in a neat little box, unfortunately, it just doesn’t really work that way. Most things are more complicated than that.
Take diets for instance. There are over a 100 different dietary theories (many piggy-backing off of another) which I studied for my health degree. What I learned from this was that there is not a 1-size-fits all. Kinda like how every girl hoped they could fit into Cinderella’s glass slipper and yet, it was made ONLY for her!
I know what your thinking, “what does this have to do with Pie Crust?”. Well let me tell you!
Most crusts have something, someone can’t have. It could be gluten, lard or honey (animal products), eggs too, nuts, or possibly high in sugars. OR, they could just be terribly time consuming and difficult to make. That is where this crust comes in.
This pie shell is your “glass slipper” because it was made for you!
- Vegan friendly (no dairy, egg, honey)
- Paleo friendly (no wheat or refined sugars)
- Raw (no baking required)
- Xander friendly (also doesn’t contain NUTS, soy or any other Top 8 allergens)
See what I mean. I was thinking of you all! Plus, its just so incredibly easy to make.
All you need is Sunflower Seeds, Dates & Liquid Sweetener (I used Grade B Maple Syrup).
Pulse these together until a nice, crumbly texture then press into your pan. a pie plate will work BUT a springform pan is even better if you have it.
THEN, refrigerate until ready to fill. Fresh diced berries and apples are amazing in this, especially with a little So Delicious Coco Whip.
- 2 1/2 C. sunflower seeds
- 1 1/2 C. medjool dates, pitted and chopped (approximately 6)
- 2 TB. pure grade B maple syrup
- In a food processor, pulse all 3 ingredients into a small but course, crumbly texture. Be sure not to make it too smooth.
- Press evenly into a springform pan (or a cheesecake pan where sides can be removed).
- Set aside in the refrigerator until ready to fill.
Some filling options include: Fresh chopped fruit & coconut whip. Lightly pan cooked apples in lemon juice & spices (nutmeg, allspice, & cloves)