It’s not very often that our family has a morning off, where we aren’t driving our kids to school or activities or heading to church. But every so often on a Sunday morning, the kids and I sleep in (6:30 is sleeping in, right?) and stay in p.j.’s just a little longer since we went to church the night before. I really LOVE those rare mornings! Not only because comfy clothes are required, but also because those days usually require pancakes, and pancakes makes everything better! Especially when the pancakes are made from scratch!
I have a faithful recipe that the kids request, but this morning I thought I’d try something a little different, because sometimes, you just have to mix it up a bit! And I’m so glad I did.
This was by far, the easiest recipe I’ve made in a long time, especially considering that it had to be allergy free and vegan which can make baking a little more difficult at times. However, with only 5 ingredients (plus your oil for the griddle) there really is no reason to ever use a box mix ever again! Especially when they taste divine. My youngest was grabbing them before I had finished taking all the photos.
They are light and fluffy, really fluffy in the middle and the oiled griddle adds a little crunch to the outside. Its just a perfect blend of texture and simplicity of taste. Just add your favorite toppings and enjoy! These especially tasted delicious topped with pure maple syrup paired with pomegranate seeds but any seasonal berry would do. I think I’m going to add in some cocoa nibs for a little chocolate kick next time.
Enjoy them while they last, because that won’t be long.
These vegan and allergy free pancakes are light and fluffy on the inside with a slight crisp to the outer layer. Add in the simplicity of the recipe, and this is sure to be a keeper.
- 2 C. All Purpose Flour *
- 2 TB. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
- 1 1/2 C. Water
- 6 TB. Brown Rice Syrup (or maple syrup)
- Olive oil or coconut oil for pan
- Preheat griddle or skillet to medium high (325 degrees).
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt). In a small bowl whisk together water and syrup. Add to the dry ingredients and whisk only until combined. Do not overmix.
- Drizzle pre-heated griddle with oil.
- Pour 1/4 C. size of batter onto griddle and allow to sit until bubbles on top start to form. Flip and allow to cook approximately 1 additional minute, or until cooked through center. Repeat with remaining batter. Add more oil if needed.
- Serve pancakes warm with syrup of choice and fresh berries, pomegranates, bananas, or cocoa nibs.
*make Gluten free by substituting Bobs Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour and adding in 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum.