This delicious, German Chocolate Cake has 5 layers of rich chocolate cake with a sweet coconut frosting then drizzled in chocolate ganache for a truly decadent, dessert. Gluten-free, nut-free, vegan.
- 1 3/4 Cup Bob’s 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
- 1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup cane sugar (WholesomeSweet)
- 3/4 Cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 Cup strong coffee, hot
- 1/2 Cup coconut oil
- 1 Cup light coconut milk + 1 TB. apple cider vinegar
- 2 TB. flax meal + 6 TB. water
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup vegan butter substitute (Earth Balance Soy Free)
- 1/2 Cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 Cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 Cup cane sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease and flour cake pans.
- Add 1 TB. of vinegar to a 1 Cup measuring cup then top off with coconut milk. Allow to sit while preparing the rest.
- In a small bowl, make your flax egg.
- In a stand mixer, mix together dry ingredients (flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda & salt).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together coffee, coconut oil, vanilla and milk/vinegar blend until coconut oil has melted.
- Slowly, pour liquids into flour and blend, making sure to scrape down the sides. Add flax egg and mix well.
- Divide between prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes if using 2-8″ rounds. Toothpick will come out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake.
- Cool 10 minutes then flip onto cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before icing.
In a small saucepan, melt butter substitute then add in remaining ingredients. Stir and bring to a slow boil. Allow icing to thicken (5 minutes) then remove from stovetop. Cool before using.
- In a small saucepan (or microwave safe bowl), add chocolate chips, butter & coconut milk. Melt together and mix well.
- To Assemble.
- Lay 1 cooled cake round onto serving tray then cover with coconut icing. Add second layer of cake on top and then cover with coconut icing as well. If using chocolate ganache, pour melted ganache over the top of the cake and allow melted chocolate to run down the sides. Add extra coconut if desired.
If using regular flour, simply substitute in place of 1-to-1 mix without making other changes.
** if using regular gluten-free flour, see if Xanthan gum is required.
*** I used 5 small cake rounds. If you use this method, bake 15-18 minutes.
- Category: Dessert