- Prepare cake according to directions in 2 8×8 square pans. Let cool to room temperature, then cut the cake into 1 inch slices to make little rectangles or just crumble it all together (see video).
- Fill a shallow bowl with sugar and set aside.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Spread a tablespoon of cream cheese in the center of the wrapper then place a rectangle of cake (or an ice cream scoop full of cake) on top. Dab your finger in a little water and run it along the edges of the egg roll wrapper. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up and over the cake, then fold in the right and left sides. Roll the egg roll away from you to seal it up. Repeat with the remaining cake rectangles.
- Fry in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the egg roll from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. While still hot, roll it in the sugar mixture.
- Serve with whipped cream and sprinkles for extra big smiles.
Filling Options: allergy-friendly chocolate bar and vegan marshmallows, prepared brownies, “oreo sandwich cookies mixed with cream cheese.
Air-fryer option: Prepare Dessert Egg Rolls through Step 4. Preheat air fryer to 370°F for 10 minutes. Allow the egg rolls to stand at room temperature while the fryer heats.
Place 4-5 egg rolls in the hot fryer basket. Fry for 5-7 minutes, or until the egg rolls are golden brown on top. Remove then repeat with the remaining rolls and coat with sugar.
Keywords: egg roll, dessert, chocolate cake, easy recipe, vegan, nut-free, birthday cake