Impress your friends with a Classic carrot cake, perfectly spice & topped with yummy homemade frosting. Delicious, allergy-free + vegan.
For the Cake
- 2.5 cups gluten-free flour (I used Bob’s 1-to-1 gluten free flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 flax eggs (1/4 cup ground flaxmeal + 3/4 cup water, mixed)
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 3 cups finely chopped carrots (chop in food processor)*
For the Frosting
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray two 9″ round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray then lightly dust with gluten-free flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves and ginger until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, egg replacer, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until combined.
- In a food processor, finely chop peeled carrots. Add to your wet mixture & mix together to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and just mix until combined, making sure to incorporate all the dry spots.
- Pour the cake batter evenly between cake pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until tops of cake are set and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven, transfer to wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
How to make Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl of a stand mixer and mix until smooth and combined. Add a little extra creamer if too thick or a little extra powder sugar if too watery.
Tip: grab your favorite purchased “safe” cream cheese frosting to save a little time.