Tender, fluffy, moist and delicious Eggnog Infused Cranberry Cinnamon Rolls. No one will know they are vegan and gluten-free.
Cinnamon Roll Dough
- 1 cup dairy-free egg milk (we used Good Karma Holiday Nog)*
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon (keep separated)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter (Earth Balance Soy Free)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup warm water (110°)
- 1 envelope of dry active yeast
- 4-5 cups GF flour plus a little extra for dusting (Bob’s 1-1 Gluten-free or AP flour also works)**
Cinnamon Sugar Filling
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
Cranberry Jam Filling
- 4 cups cranberries fresh or frozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 ounces softened cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons eggnog more as needed
Make the Dough:
- Turn oven on to 200° and when it reaches that temperature, turn it off.
- In a small saucepan, heat eggnog, 1/2 cup sugar, salt and butter over low heat until just melted. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Let cool to touch (110°).
- While butter is cooling, place the warm water, remaining tablespoon of sugar and yeast in a glass measuring cup. Stir for a second then set aside and allow to proof (about 10 minutes). Yeast will get foamy and double in size. **If it doesn’t double then start this step over again since the yeast is dead or the water was at the wrong temperature. You need this step to work or else your dough will not.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle or whisk, combine butter mixture and yeast mixture and mix together for a minute then reduce to low and add 2 1/2 cups of flour. Mix for another minute then add another 2 cups of flour and let run for another minute. Remove sticky dough from mixer and place it on a lightly floured surface (I like to use a silpat for easier clean-up). Knead with your hands for approximately 2 minutes, adding a tiny bit of flour just so it doesn’t stick to you.
- Place dough in a large, oiled bowl and spin it around so the entire ball gets oiled. Cover with a dry kitchen towel and place in the oven that you already warmed up (make sure its turned off). Let dough rest 1 hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Meanwhile make the Cranberry Jam: Combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice, and orange zest in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer gently for about 10 minutes, until most of the cranberries have burst open. Let cool completely.
- Make the Cinnamon Filling: Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Remove from oven and push down center of dough so it deflates. Return dough to a floured surface, cover with towel again for 10 minutes while you bring out your fillings.
- Roll our dough into approximately a 20″x13 ” rectangle.
- Spread softened butter over the entire surface of dough. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Spread cooled cranberry jam on top, leaving a 1″ border.
Starting with the edge nearest you, roll dough into tight cylinder, pinch lightly to seal seam, and cut into 12 pieces with a sharp knife.
Arrange rolls in a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking pan. Cover with a towel and place back in a warm place until they have expanded, about another 30 minutes.***
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Bake rolls, uncovered until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Then transfer pan to a wire rack.
Make the glaze: In a large bowl cream together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Mix in 2 cups powdered sugar, then 6 tablespoons eggnog, mixing until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated, then add more eggnog if needed until frosting is light, fluffy, and easily spreadable.
Spread frosting on cooled slightly cooled cinnamon rolls and serve.
*Any dairy-free eggnog or milk of choice will work here
*If using GF flour, double check if Xanthan Gum is required. Most 1-1 blends already contain it.
*Make ahead of time. Complete recipe through step 13. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, bring to room temperate and bake.
Keywords: Christmas, cinnamon rolls, dairy-free breakfast, holiday breakfast, cranberry