This dessert is an answer to coffee lover’s prayers. A simple and sophisticated treat made with lightly-sweetened coffee, frozen and shaved then topped with a splash of sweetened condensed coconut cream.
- Brew a pot of strong coffee.
- Place sugar in a heat proof bowl and pour coffee on top. Stir to dissolve and add in vanilla. Let stand to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a 9×15″ metal pan. Freeze until mixture is slushy, approximately 1 hour.
- Using a fork, scrape the ice crystals into flakes. Freeze again another 1-2 hours but continue to break up crystals every 30 minutes so it does not solidify.
- To serve, remove from freezer and let stand 10 minutes if needed. Scrape granita into serving bowls. Top with 1 tablespoon of evaporated coconut milk.
If you happen to forget about the freezing granita, don’t worry. Simply remove it from the freezer, let sit out to thaw 15 minutes then start to break up and scraping away to make icy flakes.
For my granita, I used a speciality, vanilla bean cane sugar and didn’t use any extra vanilla. If you use plain sugar, add vanilla or extract of choice.