Homemade Chocolate raspberry layer cake is delicious, vegan & allergy-friendly! It is filled with fresh raspberries, chocolate ganache and a fluffy buttercream frosting!
For the Cake
- 3 Cups Gluten-free Flour Blend (I used Bob’s 1-to-1) OR All-Purpose Flour*
- 2 Cups Granulated sugar
- 3/4 Cup cacao powder (unsweetened cocoa powder also works)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Cup canned coconut milk, mixed well (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1 Cup strong hot coffee
- 3/4 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 Cup vinegar
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- 2 pints raspberries
For the Frosting
- 1 Cup dairy-free butter, softened (Earth Balance Soy Free)
- 3 1/2 Cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 Cup cacao or cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 TB. dairy-free creamer
For the Ganache Layer
For the Cake (see notes for second option)
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease and dust with cocoa powder two 9″inch round baking pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together coconut milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour this into the dry mixture then add the hot coffee. Beat on medium speed just until the batter is combined. Pour evenly into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool at least 10 minutes before removing from pans onto wire racks. (*I actually just kept them in the pans to whole time to cool)
For the Frosting
In your standup mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter for 2 minutes. Sift confectioners sugar and cacao into the bowl then turn on LOW speed until the powder starts to get incorporated. Add vanilla extract, salt and creamer then turn onto MED speed for 3 minutes to get nice and fluffy. *If too thick, add 1 extra teaspoon of creamer. If too thin, add a little more sugar.
For the Ganache
Large Cake Option: Spread a layer of ganache on the bottom cake layer and smooth. Top with raspberries then pipe frosting in a circular pattern on top of the berries. Add your second cake layer. Pipe frosting on top to cover, then garnish with a handful of berries. Drizzle with ganache.
Individual Cake Option: Remove cake from pans and lay on a smooth surface. Using a large circular cutout, press onto cake and cut out smaller circles. Should have 6-8 small cakes total. Spread a layer of ganache on the bottom cake layer and smooth. Alternate piped frosting then raspberry until entire ganache layer is covered. Add your second cake layer. Pipe frosting on top to cover, and pipe frosting onto the sides. Spread to cover cake then drizzle with ganache. Top with extra piped frosting and raspberries.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: vegan, gluten-free, nut-free
Keywords: chocolate cake, birthday cake, layered cake, celebration cake