This super easy Vegan Chocolate Pie with Caramel Popcorn Crust is the rich & velvety, no-bake dessert you were dreaming about.
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels (8 cups popped)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons liquid sweetener (agave, maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pop the popcorn in a microwave, air popper, or whatever method you like (you can even use your favorite pre-popped popcorn). Spread the popcorn over the baking sheets. Pick out and discard any unpopped kernels.
- In a small saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, vegan butter, agave, salt, and cream of tartar. Put over medium heat and once you reach a foamy boil, cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring often with a non-stick spatula, being careful not to burn the sugar. Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda. The caramel will foam and get lighter in color.
- Lightly coat a 9″ springform pan with nonstick spray. Press caramel popcorn into the pan, using the back of a measuring cup , making sure to pack tightly and come up the sides, half way. Set aside.
- Pour the caramel over the popcorn, then stir the popcorn to coat.
- Add the dark chocolate and milk chocolate chips to a medium bowl and melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, about 2 minutes total, when chips are melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Fold in CocoWhip (or whip of choice) into the cooled chocolate. Spoon mixture into the popcorn crust and spread evenly.
- Melt SunButter if using (add a little milk to thin it out if needed) then drizzle across the top of chocolate, creating a zig-zag pattern.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes. Release from pan, slice and serve.
- You can also try making the crust like you would Rice Krispie Treats (but use fresh vegan marshmallows or it’ll just get clumpy)
- Pre-popped popcorn also works incredibly well!
- Don’t let the caramel burn, otherwise you’ll have a really hard to eat, burnt tasting crust.
- Sub CocoWhip for homemade whipped cream or brand of choice
Keywords: chocolate pie, vegan chocolate pie, dairy-free chocolate pie, peanut butter pie, no bake pie, easy vegan dessert, nut-free peanut butter pie