Celebrate the long weekend or even your birthday, with these amazingly rich & chocolatey, waffles! Even better, stack them, top with icing and its a best birthday cake ever.
- 2 C. Flour (GF 1–1 blend or AP flour of choice)
- 2/3 C. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 TB. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 C. Water
- 1/2 C. Dairy-free yogurt plain (soy or coconut) *
- 1/3 C. Vegetable Oil
- 2/3 C. Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Vegan Chocolate chips (Enjoy Life is Awesome)
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients EXCEPT the chocolate chips, and leave a well in the center of the mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients. Pour the wet into the dry and mix a little.
- Add in the chocolate chips and continue mixing completely.
- (If you are like me, I put all dry in my Kitchen Aid, then add the wet into it and using the paddle attachment, mix together).
- Lightly spray your iron and add approximately 1 Large ice cream scoop of batter into prepared iron. (1/4-1/2 C batter).
- My waffle iron makes 2 smaller ones at a time, so I use 1 scoop for each side. So the amount you use is based on your iron.
- Cook according to your iron’s directions
- If your iron has a light that turns on when its ready like mine does, it takes all the guess work out of it.
- Top with your favorite toppings! Earth Balance butter, syrup, fresh fruit, power sugar, or even ICING!
*For the GF version, I typically use Bob’s Red Mill 1-1 because it you can easily switch in equal amounts for regular flour. However, it is not in a dedicated nut-free facility.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Waffle Iron
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Nut-free
Keywords: vegan waffles, allergen friendly waffles, nut-free breakfast, chocolate, chocolate chip waffles, decadent waffles, breakfast board, gluten-free chocolate waffles, the best vegan waffles