Delicious Blueberry cake, bursting with fresh blueberries and a hint of banana & spices. This cake will truly be a crowd pleaser or the most requested cake in the house.
Blueberry Cake Ingredients
- *2 C. gluten-free flour (Bob’s 1-to-1 brand is what I used)
- 3/4 C. cane sugar (Wholesome brand)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 mashed bananas
- *1 C. coconut milk (So Delicious Culinary milk, shaken before measuring)
- 1/2 C. melted coconut oil
- 1 TB. apple cider vinegar
- 1 TB. vanilla extract (almond also works)
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Vegan ButterCream Frosting
- 1/4 C. non hydrogenated shortening (Spectrum brand at room temperature)
- 1/4 C. dairy-free butter (Earth Balance soy free blend)
- 2 1/2 C. confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (or almond)
- 3 to 5 TB. coconut milk creamer (So Delicious Original coffee creamer)
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease cake rounds. (see notes for pan sizes to use)
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, & spices.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, coconut milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and extract.
- Pour the wet into the dry ingredients then whisk again, just until combined. Fold in your fresh blueberries.
- Fill each pan evenly and using your spatula, lightly press batter to the edges (GF flour is a little more dense and needs a little more help to spread out in the pan).
- Bake 20-35 minutes depending on cake pan you use or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool completely before frosting.
For the Buttercream
- Beat together the shortening and butter until creamy and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat another 3 minutes.
- Add extract then slowly add in the creamer and beat another 5 minutes.
- Unmold each cooled cake.
- For those that are really uneven, use a serrated knife and trim off the top of each cake, making a flatter surface.
- Place 1 cake on stand. Spread a generous amount of frosting on bottom layer, top with another cake and frost again. Continue until every layer is frosted.
- Top with fresh blueberries. Serve to happy friends.
*Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten free flour is what I used. No need to Xanthan gum or additional ingredients.
*To make with regular flour, just swap out cup per cup, that’s it!
*So Delicious culinary milk, Original, NOT light is what I used in this recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: gluten-free, vegan, nut-free