Cauliflower is the key to making this perfectly creamy breakfast gravy. Add some vegan sausage and drench on top of fluffy biscuits, for comfort food bliss.
Vegan Sausage Gravy
- 2 cups steamed cauliflower florets
- 2 cups water, plus additional if needed
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pounds Easy Homemade Breakfast Sausage (recipe in book) or use Hilary’s Spicy Breakfast Patties (which are vegan & gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (substitute a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend)
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, to tate
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 to 6 Biscuits (recipe below OR try these Easy Biscuits)
- 1½ cups Enjoy Life All-Purpose Flour Mix (it’s gluten-free!)
- ½ cup non-GMO cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum*
- 1⅓ cups coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar (for strict vegan)
To make the Cream Biscuits:
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut cream, vinegar, and honey until smooth.
- Add the coconut cream mixture to the flour blend, and stir with a spoon to combine. Gently work it with your hands to bring everything together. It should be somewhat sticky.
- Dump the dough onto a floured mat (I use more of the Enjoy Life All Purpose Flour). Gently bring it together and pat it until about ¾- to 1-inch high. Use a 2- to 2½-inch biscuit cutter dipped in the flour to cut circles and place them in a greased baking dish, touching one another.* Bring the scraps together and cut again, an repeat the cutting process. If using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, you should get around 16 biscuits, 12 biscuits if using a 2½-inch cutter.
- Place the biscuits in the freezer while you preheat your oven to 425ºF (about 20 to 30 minutes).*
- Bake the biscuits for approximately 13 to 17 minutes, or until lightly risen and looking slightly browned. This flour blend is whole grain, so they don’t have a fluffy “white” rise, but are perfect for the gravy.
To Make the Gravy:
- Put cooked cauliflower, 1 cup of water and nutritional yeast in your blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add remaining 1 cup of water and blend to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and sauté while breaking into small pieces, until cooked through. Approx. 2 minutes for vegan sausage or 5 minutes if meat-based.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and whisk in the flour. Cook while whisking for 2 to 3 minutes. The flour should absorb into the sausage and oil and become slightly golden.
- Slowly whisk in the cauliflour mixture and cook, whisking often, for 5 minutes or until it is a rich gravy consistency. If it thickens too much, whisk in a little more water, as needed.
- Whisk in the salt and black pepper.
- Cut the biscuits horizontally with a serrated knife. Place them, cut side up on serving plates. Top biscuits with a generous amount of gravy.
- Store leftover sausage gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: dairy-free, american, vegan, gluten-free