With shiny, crackled tops and rich, fudgy centers, these fudgy brownie cookies are a deliciously decadent treat to satisfy any chocolate lovers sweet tooth!
Baked to perfection, this new vegan brownie cookie recipe is loaded with chocolate → soft → chewy→ gooey → fudgy with that beautiful, crackly top. There really isn’t anything better than combining chocolate cookies and yummy brownies into one delicious chocolatey treat.
Ingredients to make vegan chocolate brownie cookies
Making these vegan cookies is almost ridiculously easy. You only need 9 ingredients:
- All-purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten free flour blend)
- Cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Apple sauce
- Light brown sugar
- Plain granulated sugar
- Vegan butter
- Dark & regular chocolate chips
(The full recipe, including measurements in grams, is located at the bottom of this post.)
How to make the best vegan brownie cookies
Prep ahead. I learned this the hard way but timing is key to brownie cookie success, so prep all the ingredients before you start because this moves quick! Measure everything out and then start making the batter. Once you mix up your batter, scoop and get into the oven.
Melt chocolate. Place the dark chocolate chips and vegan butter in a saucepan and start to melt together until nice and smooth over medium heat. While the chocolate is melting, Cream together brown sugar and applesauce until pale in color, then immediately add melted chocolate to it and blend.
Be quick. These cookies are better the sooner you can get them in the oven, so grab your cookie scoop and get ’em on the prepared baking sheet. 1 1/2 tablespoon sized scoops yields 24 cookies or 1- regular ice cream scoop yields approx 10-12 jumbo cookies.
Bake 8 then 5. My crinkle top, brownie cookies came out perfectly when baked 8 minutes, and rotated for the last 5. My oven is a little temperamental so by rotating the pan, I can ensure the heat is evenly distributed which may also work wonders for you. But feel free to try without rotating if your oven is more accurate.
Shape & Sprinkle. To increase the intensity of chocolate flavor, you can sprinkle with a little sea salt or extra chocolate chips before shaping.
How to make perfectly round brownie cookies
The best tip for perfectly round vegan brownie cookies—or any other soft, out of the oven cookies—can be achieved by these easy steps:
- Remove cookies from the oven, but keep them on the hot baking sheet.
- Take a round cookie cutter that is slightly bigger than the cookie, and place overtop of the cookie, so the cookie is in the center.
- In a circular motion, gently move the cookie cutter around the cookie until it forms a perfect circle.
If making huge cookies (like I did on my second batch), then just leave as is. No one will care they aren’t a perfect circle, they’ll just be rushing to get one before they are gone.
We love these Decadent Brownie Cookies
I hope you love these soft and fudgy vegan cookies as much as we do!
If you liked this recipe or have any questions, leave a comment down below and give this recipe a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ so that others may find this recipe!
As always, if you make something from the blog, be sure to tag @allergylicious on Instagram so I can see your creations. Also, follow along with me on Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube, and Facebook for more vegan & allergy friendly recipes.
More vegan chocolate desserts to try
These life-changing, indulgent brownie cookies are delicious with coffee or even a scoop of vanilla “nice” cream (and the perfect way to get your chocolate fix!).
- 3/4 cup (95g) all purpose flour (or 1:1 gluten free blend)
- 3 tablespoons (15g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup (160g) applesauce
- 3 tablespoon (30g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (160 g) sugar
- 4 tablespoon (60 g) butter
- 1 1/3 cup (220g) dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup (80g) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° and line baking sheet with parchment.
- Melt chocolate. Place the dark chocolate chips and vegan butter in a saucepan and start to melt together until nice and smooth over medium heat. While the chocolate is melting, Cream together brown sugar and applesauce until pale in color, then immediately add melted chocolate to it and blend.
- Add flour mixture. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined. To prevent over-mixing, use a wooden spoon for this part and just mix until flour disappears. Fold in extra chocolate chips.
- Be quick. Quickly scoop golf ball size batter onto lined baking trays 3" apart.
- Bake 8 minutes, rotate and bake 5 more minutes. If making smaller sized cookies, omit extra baking time.
- Shape & Sprinkle. To increase the intensity of chocolate flavor, sprinkle with sea salt and top with extra chocolate chips before shaping.
Can be made using 1:1 gluten free flour blend
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my FULL DISCLOSURE POLICY for more details.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 23mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
Nutritional information is only an estimate based off of using an online calculator. Numbers will change depending on brands used.