Pure deliciousness in every bite of these, moist and tender, Berry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting. Vegan, Gluten-free and Nut-free as written.
- 1 1/2 cups 1-to-1 Gluten-free Flour *
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or dairy-free milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (can also use coconut oil, melted)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup mixed berries (I used frozen strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- 1 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
Cream Cheese Frostin
- Preheat oven to 350° and line cupcake tin with liners (recipe will make 14-15 cupcakes)
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Ina small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely, then either using a cupcake corer, or knife, cut out the center of the cupcake for filling. (Obviously you get to just eat all the extra pieces).
- To make the berry topping, add the berries, lemon juice and water to a food processor and puree until smooth. You should end up with about 2/3 cup puree.
- Combine the sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Stir in the berry puree.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 8-10 minutes.
- Allow to boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Allow to cool completely then add 1 tablespoon into center of cupcake.
Cream Cheese Filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using a hand-held mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the butter, shortening and mix for about 30 seconds-1 minute until well combined and smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue mixing until fully combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Pipe frosting on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Can also make this recipe using AP Flour (just use exact amount as shown)
- Use your favorite gluten-free flour instead, but don’t forget to add the Xanthan Gum if required.
- Omit berry filling if desired or use your favorite pre-made berry jam.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-free, Allergy-friendly