Berry Smoothie Pancakes
What if I told you that making pancakes was as simple as making a smoothie, would you believe me?
Well, I surely wouldn’t lie to you about this one.
Berry smoothies are one of my absolute favorite, post workout drinks. It’s also my sons favorite breakfast options, so I was messing with an idea of starting with a smoothie then adding to it for a naturally sweet, allergy friendly (dairy, egg & nut free), filling breakfast. Then “tada” the Berry Smoothie Pancake was born!
Start with your smoothie mix: berries, banana, milk (I use coconut milk), yogurt (So Delicious has wonderful vegan & soy free blend yogurt) and some apple cider vinegar (for gut health).
Blend smoothie ingredients together.
Now, let’s add to it, to turn it into a delicious pancake.
Flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, chia seeds & a pinch of Himalayan salt get added next. Then blend again.
(Gluten free flour also works well here but be sure to take out both flours and replace with your blend. Don’t forget Xanthan gum is your mix requires it).
In less then 5 minutes, you’ve just made this awesome berry infused batter. All you have left is to heat up your griddle, pour your batter onto it (1/4 Cups worth makes a nice size pancake) and allow to bake until bubbles start to form. Flip each one then let cook on the other side until light brown and a little crisp.
Simple is always best for me, but if you like, top with some sliced fruit, a drizzle or two of agave or Grade B maple syrup and a sprinkling of cinnamon. YUM!
Even my son who hates fruit in his pancakes LOVED this one so there is hope for your child too!
- 12 oz berries (if frozen, defrost overnight or in the microwave)
- 1 ripe banana
- ¾ C. Coconut milk
- 4 TB. Yogurt (So Delicious Dairy Free, plain)
- 2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
- 1¾ C. Unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ C. Tapioca flour
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 TB. Chia seed (white or black)
- Heat griddle to 350° or skillet to medium high.
- In a blender, blitz together ¾ of the berries with their juice, banana, coconut milk, yogurt & apple cider vinegar.
- Add in flours, baking powder, baking soda & chia seeds then blend again until smooth. If batter is too thick, simply add in a little more milk.
- Fold in remaining berries.
- Lightly spray your skillet with coconut oil then pour batter onto skillet to make pancakes of desired size.
- Cook on each side until light and golden with a little crisp.
- Top pancakes with yogurt, fresh fruit & drizzle of agave or maple syrup.
Make these gluten free by using flour blend like Bobs 1-to1 Gluten Free Flour mix. Substitute GF mix in place of APF & tapioca flour).
Add xanthan gum if your flour requires it.